Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dear Canada: If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor by Jean Little

Cover: Thursday, October 24, 1918
              I can hardly bear to look at Fanny. She is grey and her breath rasps and gurgles and wheezes. She has lost pounds. Her face is all hollow and a dark colour. A bluish grey. That is one of the symptoms of this Flu, Aunt told us. Nobody is saying the word, but we all know. So many have died, but not my Fan. I will not leave her no matter what anyone says.
        LATER
             I cannot sit still unless I have something to do. Mostly hold onto Fanny's hand, but then she grows so restless and pushes me away. Whenever anyone comes near, though, she reaches for me again and clings for dear life. I feel as though I am made of glass and may fly apart into little sharp slivers. 

SummaryFiona and her family are holding onto hope in the Fall of 1918. The Flu has pegged down members of Fiona's family causing the family to band together. As time progresses, Fiona finds out about a love triangle between her mother, father and aunt. She makes a plan to match her father and aunt together again. They marry shortly afterward making grandmother move out of the house.

Review: This novel is definatly a tear-jerker. I cried at so many different times in this novel that I ended up being a mess by the end of it !! But thats not saying that you shouldn't read it. I reccomend this book 100% !! The characters-especially Fiona and her sister Fanny-all share an interestingly tight bond that people will find enjoyable to read about !! I give this novel a seven point five out of ten !! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment